When should I clean my oven?
The inevitable truth with oven cleaning is that the longer you leave it, the worse it gets!
The first sign is the general appearance. If you notice residue or crust on the bottom or some grease on the door, then it might be time to clean your oven. The second sign is smoke. If your oven smolders, it’s a sign of buildup hence you should clean it. The other sign is the odor. If you notice a foul smell when you fire your oven, it could be a sign that there’s lingering grease, food or dirt inside.
1. Heat your oven gently and allow to cool down.
2. When the oven is just warm, add enough water to a cup of bicarbonate of soda to make a thin paste.
3. Apply the paste thinly to the walls of your oven, avoiding any elements.
4. Place some vinegar in a spray bottle, and spray the bicarbonate of soda on the oven walls.
5. They should react, cleaning the oven walls. Let the mixture sit for an hour or so to do it’s thing.
6. Then take a damp cloth and gently wipe the mixture off.
5. The bicarbonate of soda will break down the grease and grime and make it easy to remove!
If you don’t clean and maintain your oven regularly you’ll need a lot of time and elbow grease, or a specially formulated oven cleaner.
Like other household chemical products, oven cleaners are dangerous – if you get them on your skin or in your eyes it can cause severe irritation, deep burns or even blindness. They need to be handled with care.
- Have the kitchen well ventilated when using an oven cleaner to avoid breathing in any fumes.
- Follow the instructions – if it says to wear a face mask or safety glasses then do it!
- Wear a long-sleeve top and gloves to prevent your skin coming into contact with the cleaner.
Keep it clean in between
Some tips to keep an oven clean:
1. Wipe up spills immediately
2. Use an oven liner
3. Use a roasting bag
4. Give a quick clean regularly
Get regular professional oven cleans every 6-12 months
We recommend using a professional oven cleaning service every 6-12 months, depending on your oven usage. If your oven has a regular deep cleaning using a professional oven cleaning service, you won’t need to do as much to stay on top of it all year round.